Passport is an official document given by the government which helps to travel to & from the foreign countries. It is a certified document mentioning the citizenship and identity. Before applying for the passport, know completely about the passport process, the documents needed to attain passport and re-issue of passport.
Two types of passports made available in India- Ordinary passport, Diplomatic passport or official passport. However, the official passport and diplomatic passport issued to the people deputed under the government of India or to the people holding diplomatic status.
Know about passport process
- One has to register on the official website www.passportindia.gov.in, a one time process.
- After registration, you can log in through login credentials.
- go through the necessary documents required for submission
- make payment either through credit/debit card, NEFT.
The basic documents for applying for the passport and also to be carried during the visit to the Passport office.
- Date of birth certificate (either birth certificate or 10th memo)
- Proof of identity along with the photograph
- residence proof
Cross check the documents needed
Apart from the mandatory documents needed for applying for the passport you can also check for other documents needed to submit. Passport Seva is providing a link https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/welcomeLink for checking all the documents as per the type of passport applied. Click on the link and go to the document advisor tab. A page opens mentioning different categories like- documents required for a fresh passport, documents required for re-issue of passport, documents required for PCC and Miscl. services, documents required for a diplomatic/official passport, documents required for background verification. Select your choice and give all the necessary details.
Online application for an ordinary passport
The ordinary passport is for those who are applying for a passport for the first time.
- login with registered login id
- click on the link mentioning “Apply for fresh/re-issue passport”
- Fill all the necessary details correctly in the form and submit. Make sure you have not mentioned any incorrect information while applying. If any information found incorrect the application may get cancelled. Above all, you cross check the details before submitting.
- Now, make payment using the “Pay & schedule appointment” option. Make the payment in the way you feel comfortable.
- finally, print the application form clicking on the “print application receipt”. The application contains Appointment number or application reference number (APN). This APN required during the visit to the passport office. However, the hard copy of the application no longer required. An SMS with APN on the phone is more than enough. Hence, noting APN is mandatory.
- Last and final step, visit Regional Passport Office (RPO) along with the necessary documents.
Online application for Diplomatic process/Official process
- The first and foremost step- to register yourself visiting the official website.
- login with registered login id
- look for the link “Apply for Diplomatic/Offical process” and click on it
- fill the correct details. Providing the wrong details may increase the chances of rejecting the application form
- Submit the form
- Print the submitted form and visit Passport Office with hard copy and original documents.
Know your status of the application
Passport Seva, also providing the users with the facility of tracking the application status. The steps to check the application status mentioned below.
- go to the link https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/statusTracker/trackStatusInpNew
- Make a selection for the type of passport you applied.
- Also, enter the file number and Date of birth
- click on track status
- The status of your application displays.
As a result of the safety and security issues, the documents submitted undergoes cross verification and sent for police verification. So, the police visit the place mentioned in the application and confirm a police clearance certificate. Therefore, the applicant must ensure the information provided by him/her should not contain incorrect information or unauthorized information.