ICD is a tool for reporting and grouping conditions and factors that influence health. It contains categories for diseases, health-related conditions, and external causes of illness or death.
ICD allows you to systematic recording, analysis, interpretation, and comparison of mortality and morbidity data collected in different areas and at different times. With that focus, ICD can be used to translate diagnoses of diseases and other health problems into an alphanumeric code. This also permits storage, retrieval, and analysis of the data.
ICD has created international standard diagnostic classification for all general epidemiological and many health management purposes.
The structure of chapters reflect vital aspects of diseases. These chapters are not also restricted in areas of medical expertis or domain of specialities.
- External causes of Morbidity and mortality
- Factors like health status
- Reasons for a occurrence of a health system and traditional medicines
Along with these details more information is provided, as follows:
- Infectious agents
- Place of Injury
ICD also contains a set of Rules and Explanations for its use, necessary metadata and required reporting formats.
Features of ICD-11
ICD-11 presents a main structural innovation: it is built on a foundation component from which the tabular list can be derived.
The addition of this foundation component and the electronic design of ICD-11 makes necessary to introduce new terminology not used in previous editions of ICD:
- Foundation: This a data base content and has all the necessary information.
- Stem Code: These are the codes which can be used alone in other words a minimum from the whole data is collected.
- Extension Code: This is the additional data which is not covered in stem code. These extension codes cannot be used without stem code.
- Cluster Coding: When stem code and extension codes are used togther. It’s called cluster coding.
- Primary and secondary parents: Specific diseases and concepts within the classification can be connected to another parent code and this possibility was introduced to enable specific extracts of the Tabular list for medical specialties or for specific use cases.