Sensitivity- Causes, symptoms and prevention.
Dentin hypersensitivity or most commonly known as tooth sensitivity is a common problem.
This tends to affect your teeth and exposed root surfaces.
Tooth sensitivity makes a person very uncomfortable. Yes, you are not the only one facing this problem. Infact as a matter of fact, there are many around you with the same dental problem.
Sensitivity basically means having a feeling of discomfort or pain when you consume something hot or cold.
It can make you uncomfortable. It may stop you from having your favourite ht or cold food, drinks or beverages.
Actually, there are many causes that may result in sensitivity. But, however, a little bit of care and awareness can reduce the risk.
Here are some of the most common causes of sensitivity:
- Using a very hard toothbrush.
- Brushing aggressively.
- Not brushing or flossing regularly.
- Eating excessive acidic food items.
- Using a mouthwash with high acidic levels.
- Receding gums due to increasing age.
- Having excessive sugary foods and drinks.
- Whitening or bleaching treatments.
Signs and symptoms:
If you experience any kind of discomfort or pain while consuming certain kind of food or drink, you are most probably suffering from sensitivity.
Moreover the food items that may lead to sensitive teeths include extremely hot or cold foods and beverages, sugary food etc.
- Brushing your teeth regularly at least twice a day.
- Flossing your teeth regularly at least once a day.
- Using a mouthwash that doesn’t have high acidic levels and is clinically approved.
- Brushing with a toothbrush that have smoother brushes.
- Brushing properly and not aggressively.
- Avoiding sugary foods and drinks.
- Limiting acidic food, drinks or beverages.
- Getting a regular dental checkup and using a doctor- advised toothpaste.